Wednesday, February 5, 2014

The year of the horse starts off with a bang...literally....imaging supernova 2014J from Malibu on CNY day 31st Jan 2014

The title says it all. I traveled to Solstice Canyon in Malibu on Chinese New Year's day/night despite the "potential"for cloudy weather (forecast was for patchy clouds clearing at 1am). The skies we not totally clear at our place in Culver City but I took a leap of faith, packed the car up and headed to my fave semi dark sky spot. As always I had with me my list of "objects to image". Objects on the list this time round included NGC 2359 (Thor's Helmet) in Puppis, NGC 1514 (planetary in Taurus), some Fornax galaxies (as I discovered later were too low to image now so I have to save these for the next season), as well as some Leo galaxies (M95/M96/M105/NGC 3384 and NGC 2903). The main item for tonight's session was of course to see and image the newly spotted supernova explosion in M82 in Ursa Major, as the title of this blog implies. I decided that I was going to image from the mouth of Solstice Canyon park and risk the cops coming and paying me a visit (which they did not). Firstly this site, while more obstructed in views, is more protected from the winds (which in turn work out in my favour as the trees and canyon walls did block a bit of the howling winds...yup it was that bad!), so CCD imaging will be easier to achieve. Also since the park is closed at night, I would not be interrupted by curious onlookers, like what I experienced the last time I was at the other site further up the road. So after getting there a little after 10pm, I proceeded to set up my equipment, the NexStar 102GT and my Astroscan and its new/old Celestron red dot pointer, which is an excellent investment as I can now aim my Astroscan at anything and be on target.

"M95 Leo"

Started off the session with a little visual observing with the 102GT, after leveling the mount and doing the two star align. GOTO was pretty spot on throughout the night and I was pleased. The mount was also purring along nicely since I just changed a fresh set of 8xAA batteries for the powerpack. Generally I can do up to 4 long sessions of about 5 hours before the batteries start behaving eratic, but for imaging, I usually prefer fresh batteries. To get my eyes dark adapted, I looked at some bright open clusters, the double double in Perseus, M45; the Pleiades cluster in Taurus, M42; the great nebula in Orion, M78; Orion's reflection nebula and NGC 2359; Thor's Helmet. Since my last visual object was NGC 2359, I decided to start my imaging run with the Meade DSI. The Meade DSI is still my CCD cam of choice when it comes to "bagging" objects. I am used to its functions, it is pretty sensitive (funny how the Orion should be just as good...more on that later), and Meade Envisage automates everything, making capturing deep space panorama's a snap (no pun intended). So naturally my first target was Thor's Helmet, which was dimly visible with the NPB filter in place. The image however yielded nothing (after processing in PS back home the next day). This is very odd indeed...just like when I imaged the Veil Nebula, which was also visible faintly in the 102GT with the NPB filter in place. Something tells me I should start imaging dim nebulae with the SkyGlow filter in place, even from the darker Malibu skies. Why I have not done that is still a big mystery. My second target did the same vanishing act. No trace of NGC 1514 in my frames, despite me capturing the correct star field. Moral of the story is "use the damn SkyGlow" filter, even from Malibu!!!!!

"M96 Leo"

Galaxies were a different bag of fish though. They are heaps easier to image, their bright cores anyways. The catch is to try and bring out their delicate spiral arms. M95, M96 and M105 were easy fish to catch for the Meade DSI. My main problem this night, was like my previous outing, the winds, the howling, gusty winds. It was a good test of patience having to wait for just that precise moment when the winds died down enough for me to hit "start" and hit "stop" as soon as I started detecting the wind picking up. Needless to say I was spewing expletives when shot after shot got ruined. It was better than being at the other site though since the trees did help a little with holding the winds at bay, plus giving me warning of impending winds when the leaves start rustling.

"M105, NGC 3389 and NGC 3384 Leo"

My last imaging stop for the night was the supernova in M82, the cigar galaxy in Ursa Major. The galaxy was now riding high in the sky and was just waiting to be inspected and shot. I figured I give the Orion StarShoot Deep Space Imager II CCD a short run to see if I could get nice pics of the supernova and M82, since it is pretty bright. Using the focal point I marked on the barrel of the focuser on my 102GT OTA, I could not get anything to focus on the screen using MaxIm DL, despite changing the focus. All I got was blue noise (as opposed to white noise on the telly lol). Frustrated, I unmounted the CCD and put the Meade DSI I back in and whala.....nice colored image of M82 and the blazingly bright supernova (easily visible visually as well, despite its magnitude of 10). Satisfied with my loot for the night, I unmounted the CCD cam and packed up the NexStar 102GT.

"M82 and supernova Ursa Major"

Next on my agenda for the night was easy going, unstressful observing with the Astroscan. "Grab and Go" astronomy at its best, even better than bringing the Orion SkyScanner, because I still have to bring a tripod with me. Plus the Astroscan is just so easy to carry. Just grab it by its strap and sling it over my shoulder. No bags, etc etc to worry about. Also with the Astroscan, all I have to do it put it on the hood of my Mazda5, plonk in the TV 13T6 Nagler (somehow this combo gives the best balance between FOV, size of most objects and detail. With that I waltzed over to the galaxy rich region's, starting with Corvus and M104; the Sombrero, and then bagged M65/M66/NGC 3628, all three visible easily in the wide field 13T6 Nagler. Then I swung over to M95/M96/M105 in Leo, before plunging deep into Virgo and her host of galaxies. All major Messiers were easily visible. Then onto the Ursa Major/Canes Venatici region. M51; the whirlpool galaxy easily showed both lobes in the 13T6, M97; the Owl Nebula and then galaxies in Canes Venatici, M63 and M94. Stargazing sessions should always be like that, with a nice relaxing end to the night, just drinking in the views of faint ancient starlight.......till the next Malibu session clear transparent skies.....

34 comments:

  1. Forgot about NGC 3389 alongside M105 and NGC3384. I saw this galaxy back in 4/22/11 with the SkyScanner.

    Hopefully February will be a better month for astronomy - I only picked up one new object in January.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well the rains are finally here. Two rainy Thursdays and I forgot to bring my brolly....but yes hopefully Feb will be better......Jan was just a washout lol.......lately I have been thinking of getting back to visual with my C8...we will see what I will do next new moon weekend.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nevertheless, some good things to report for January:

    1) Astromaster 130EQ - center spotted the primary mirror, put the Riqel Quik Finder on the OTA and practiced using the equatorial CG3 mount by slewing the scope around and rotating the OTA on its rings to find objects. I'm getting better at using it (an EQ mount). Hopefully the Powerseeker 114 OTA will support the CG3 as well.

    2) Tried the Astromaster mount on the C90Mak - couldn't point the scope anywhere around the zenith, so I'll have to try another mount, preferably an EQ.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I take it you are planning to use your EQ mount from now on? Are you planning to retire your Orion VersaGo? The EQ will be harder to carry around as it will be heavier due to the counterweights. I need to use my C8 more

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, hopefully 2014 will be the year of the equatorial mount. Been relying on alt-azimuth mounts for the past 3 years. Need to be more time efficient in my tracking and sketching of objects. If I don't get used to using the EQ I will revert back to an alt-azimuth, but so far, so good... The trick is to keep the rings loose enough so that you can quickly move the focuser to a comfortable eye-level after slewing the scope to the target object. I was getting the hang of it last Saturday after I saw a Youtube video which demonstrated the proper way to do it.

    Yes, the counterweights are heavy, so I need to carry them in my backpack, not in my Orion bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still don't understand why you don't want to try and fix your handset on the NexStar 102GT (or get a replacement). You could potentially use that to sketch seeing it tracks so well. Plus it is heaps lighter. If I were you I will go that route. That also saves time as you don't have to starhop if your object is in the database (isn't your goal to get more and more objects to add to your list?). EQ's a a pain to use and take time to setup as you need to get a rough polar alignment.

      Delete
  6. Yes, I could - but I'd like to be proficient at using an EQ as well. I'm interested in seeing how much time it'll save in observing and sketching objects as opposed to using an alt-azimuth. Also, I don't have to worry about running out of power, unless I use my Celestron Power Tank - and that is one more additional item (heavy) I'll have to carry.

    I started getting the hang of using an EQ last Saturday - was starting to hit target after target with greater ease compared to the previous times I used the mount. Nice to be able to track objects with just a turn of a single knob. I also have a motor for the Celestron EQ mounts if I wanted automatic tracking.

    I have so many EQ mounts (2 EQ1s, 1 CG2, 2 CG3s) that it would be a shame not to use them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahah that's your problem...you have too many scopes and mounts ;) I have the opposite problem and am trying to keep to my promise of not buying more equipment. The only things I can foresee getting is another Orion bag to make it easier to carry two scopes to Malibu or where-ever, either an alt az mount or small EQ and a EQ GOTO mount for imaging......

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes - and I'm enjoying it for now! It's fun to have lot of scopes, just need to make time to enjoy them, one by one. Someday I will start unloading them when they become a burden (e.g. no more room to store them, need some quick cash).

    A good small alt-az mount is the Vixen Mini-Porta, I don't recommend the Astromaster.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could never have that many. There is just no time to enjoy and play with all of them. Even now I am having problems lol. Yup no Astromaster mount for me.....I am leaning more towards a small EQ like an EQ1...but I won't mind a Mini Porta (though EQ1's used are cheaper....). Btw I have another new post....on starparties.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm looking forward to testing some of them, like I did with the Meade 60mm and like you did with your scope shootouts.

    Also, I can't wait to see how much more efficient I'll be in finding, tracking and sketching DSOs using an EQ mount from Solstice Canyon Park.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is why I buy used so I don't lose as much money. I too like the occasional test....there is a great Celestron Cometron CO60 on a Vixen Polaris mount on e bay....very tempting

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ended yesterday. Nobody bid on it because starting bid was $179.95.

    I ended up buying so many scopes because they were on sale for cheap, either new or used (the two Orion Rocket scopes and the Celestron Explorascope I bought used).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yup did not pull the trigger. Too expensive. But there is a Meade blue scope from the 80's (exactly the same one I got and sold last year) on Craigslist. Maybe I should get another one. It was a great lil scope and I miss it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've had some thoughts about getting a 60/900mm refractor similar to the Cometron CO60 - the Powerseeker 60EQ with EQ1 mount. Just to see what the views through an unusually long 60mm focal length scope looks like...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, pull the trigger on the classic Meade 226 scope (I think you should have kept the one you had - it wasn't like it was taking up a lot of space). I like my 60/700mm Meade NG60 - it came with a 90 degree mirror star diagonal, not the terrestrial prism ones that Celestron supplies with their Powerseeker/Astromaster line of refractors (and the NexStar 102GT as well).

    Now if a 60/900mm Meade 291 model came along on Ebay, I would definitely try to get it. I think these are more scarcer than the 226 model.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Better color correction and probably much narrower FOV on those long focal length ones. My wife will kill me though if I got another small scope lol

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm sure the situation will improve once you get a house. The one scope I would have kept would be the 60mm F/6 Kansai comet catcher. One of the first "fast" achromats ever produced, before the Short Tube 80s came along.

    I rent space in a storeroom away from home, so I'm OK with having so many scopes for now. Most of my scopes are currently stored there.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have 7 now with two mounts lol....

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yeah I actually liked that scope. My problem with 60mm scopes has always been their too dim views. I guess that is why I have never held on to a 60mm scope longer than a few months. I think the longest I had one was for close to a year (the Celestron Cometron CO60). But then again the only reason for that was my love affair with Cometron scopes, seeing my first real scope was a Cometron CO40 which I still have till this day. Sharp views, tick, color free, tick, bright views, negative (unless you are looking at solar system objects, but then these scopes don't offer very much in terms of details!). The smallest scope I would use is 76mm for a newtonian and 80mm for a refractor (for visual use that is).

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad to see you are able to hold on to your 7 scopes!

    Super portability and crisp sharp views is why I like my 50mm Galileoscope and 60mm Meade. I can sling both scope and tripod in a small bag slung over my shoulder. Double stars and planets through these scopes are awesome, I've taken both scopes to backyard star parties (I think you've seen the pics on Facebook). Was very pleased with how I was able to pick up all the Sagittarius Messier objects with the 60mm from a semi-dark site, despite the glare from the surrounding parking lot lights.

    So I'm interested in the F/15 60mm scope, although it would no longer be so portable - would need an Orion bag to carry it around.

    Still need to test out the Astromaster 70AZ - there may be some problems with the optics (as was the case with your sample). Further tests will determine if this is the case or not.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Its easier for me as I have a car I can transport my scopes in so I don't have to go as small. As said scopes in the 60mm class just don't show me enough in the way of detail. In scopes that small, its more like tick I have seen that object (my 20x80's show me more!). But I do agree that all the Messier's are easily visible from semi dark skies. I did do a tour of some southern gems from Mark's place in Glenore Grove in the Lockyer Valley (considered dark skies in comparison to even Malibu....the site is only slightly brighter than Pinos). From memory one of Mark's mates son had a 60mm scope and I was showing him how to use it and what could be seen in scopes that small.

    Currently I have a Celestron 70mm Travelscope, three 4" scopes (Celestron 102GT, Orion SkyScanner 100 and Edmund Astroscan), a 5" Orion StarSeeker, 6" Celestron/Vixen and the Celestron C8 SCT.

    ReplyDelete
  22. For me, just being able to spot these objects in a scope so small gives me a thrill. When I was using my 50mm Tasco, many times i wondered how much better the views would be if I had a 60mm scope, which was the standard beginner's scope back then.

    I would like to start using my smaller scopes (instead of the 4.5") to continue picking up "new" objects that are bright enough for them, but that I've overlooked (I came across a list of many of these). It was great to be using the C90Mak at Solstice Canyon the last time I was there in January, and not having to lug the PW114 and VersaGo II mount around.

    Is this the largest no. of scopes you've had at any one time? I'm proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nope I have had more lol...I think the biggest number I had was when I had all those scopes I got during the Black Friday sale 2 years ago...had the 102gt, Skyscanner, Travelscope 70, Spaceprobe 76mm, 2 Funscopes, Powerseeker 70mm, 10" gs dob, 60mm Meade.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ah yes - but you didn't have them for very long. But what you currently have are all good scopes.

    I am currently going through "Star Ware" by Phil Harrington, 4th edition (2007). From an Amazon.com review, I see that you own (or at least have read) the first three editions. I agree with you - very educational and informative.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I forgot I have two more back at my parents place in Malaysia so make that 9. Two unaccounted for are my Celestron Cometron CO40 and Powerseeker 130.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have all the Star ware books save the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  27. No disrespect to Phil, but there is one funny picture in that book showing his daughter looking through a pair of 16x70 binoculars. I think you know what I mean.

    Otherwise, looking forward to going through the book in more detail. Has a nice box section on caveats regarding Plossls which I found out by observation 1) poor eye-relief on short focal length Plossls and 2) narrow field of view for a 1.25" 40mm Plossl.



    ReplyDelete
  28. Yup...and his books kinda chronicles the "progression" of equipment. its a real interesting read. that is why i have all the Star Ware. May try to acquire the first one sometime in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yes, a good way to learn about models of the past, some which now have "classic" status. Interesting that he doesn't have anything on the Parks brand.

    I'm starting to get interested in scopes from the past, besides the Orion Funscope (Rocketscope) or Celestron Explorascope. But if the 100mm Explorascope comes up (scarce compared to the 80m version), I will make a bid for it.

    I'd like to get experience in handling all kinds of scopes, as long as they're small and I can carry them to Malibu or Yucca Valley.


    ReplyDelete
  30. Re: Parks - no mention in the 4th edition, but maybe something in the earlier 3 editions.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Not sure if Parks get a mention. Those might predate the Star Ware books. I won't put Rocketscopes and Explorerescopes in the same class as the older scopes as they are fairly new...only not available in North America. I have seen a couple of Explorerscope 100 pop up. I am given the understanding that they share the same mirror as the SkyScanner (short focal length parabolic mirror). What I might spring for is an 80's Comet Catcher (especially the orange tubed ones), one of the 80mm orange tubed Cometron scopes on Polaris mount or one of them 60mm ST Tascos or Meade Cometseekers.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I was just looking at an old brochure for the Celestron Comet Catcher yesterday - a 5.5" super-fast F/3.5 Newtonian on an alt-az mount (looks similar to the current Cometron 114AZ, but with more aperture).

    Meade Model 277 Comet Seeker 60mm F/5 - hmmm. I see that there was a 80mm Cometron in both a reflector and a refractor (black - similar to Short Tube 80) version. Which version are you talking about (or interested in both)?

    I'm currently bidding on a Meade 60 AZ-T F/5.8 refractor. Similar in specs to the Kasai Comet Catcher you once owned.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I know about the Cometron 80ST from the 80's. Those scopes had great optics but due to an error in design (the rack and pinion focuser cut off the full aperture as the tube was too short), the actual aperture was closer to 70mm. You can look it up. I am talking about this scope http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbarchive/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3097329/page/2/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1.

    ReplyDelete