Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Stargazing down under spotlight: Cambroon nights at Ron's on the Sunny Coast, QLD, Australia



One of the many observing locations I used to frequent whilst back in oz was Ron Knight's place in Cambroon on the Sunshine Coast. Ron was always the gracious host and extended a warm welcome to all astronomers from Brisbane and beyond, via the southern astronomy forum "Ice In Space". What made this gathering special was not just the incredible observing, but also the camaraderie. Prior to observing, there was always a BBQ, as well as friendly banter, where we would get to know each other better, talk about equipment (the second, or for most the highlight of the evening) and observing. There was always a good mix of both visual and imaging astronomers, as well as the occasional monster dobsonian. Bill sometimes brought along his SDM 25" monster dob. Its interesting watching him set up his towering dob (a picture speaks a thousand words!).



Then there was Paul Russell's imaging rig, and Ron's 16" truss dob and C8, which was housed in a nice lil shed observatory. My first trip there was with Andrew Durick, my best astro buddy in oz. Then Andrew had his 12.5" truss dob and was doing purely visual observing. Back in simpler times, I also did not have the variety of scopes I had later on in my observing career. My trusty Celestron/Vixen C6 newtonian f/5 on EQ 3-2 mount, used in alt-az mode went with me everywhere. My eyepieces were housed in a yellow weather proof Pelican Case, complete with foam cutouts.



Skies at Ron's was comparable to what we got at Leyburn, which was plenty dark for hunting down those faint fuzzies. M33 and NGC 5128 were routine naked eye objects here when the skies were transparent. The only problem with his site was a higher level of moisture in the air than at arid Leyburn, causing optics to dew up, and the occasional fog bank rolling in. That was one of the creepier sights I had ever seen, observing as the fog slowly creep up from the rolling hills and covered the entire sky. It was like a living and breathing entity!!!!!!



Needless to say this is one of the places I miss most whenever I look back at those times when I used to observe from the place I called home for 11 years, Brisbane. All those friends I made under the starry southern skies will remain for life. Thanks Ron for all those good memories, be it at Cambroon, or at the two QLD Astrofest I had the pleasure of attending with you guys!





No comments:

Post a Comment