Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Blast from the past....observing reports from downunder 2002

10/11th of May 2002

Viewing conditions: Excellent transparency magnitude 7++ skies ; Telescope 6" Synta Catadioptric Newtonian (1400mm f/l), 10x50mm binocs and on occasion a 10" DOB and 6" Synta refractor
Observing notes:

This is my forth visit to Leyburn and also probably my last before the winter. This was also supposed to be a test trip to see if I could take the cool-cold temperatures of winter, which will hit next month (needless to say that I won't be going the next month due to my aversion to cold temperatures…unable to focus…brain and finger freeze). Weather for the past few days prior to the trip was excellent with clear skies. As we drove out, there were some clouds gathering though. Well hopefully we will get clear skies from the word go when we get there. As we had set out early, we got there just before 4pm. During the southern autumn, the skies start getting dark at 5pm and will be fully dark when it hits 6pm. When we got there the skies were spectacular. There were some clouds hovering around but they were never really a threat.

We began the night with a special treat with the planetary conjunction. Caught Jupiter, Venus, Mars and Saturn all close to one another. Kev tried to find Mercury in the muck before the sun had even set with his 80mm binocs mounted on a mop stick (ingenious way to mount your super binoc) but to no success. I had a brief glimpse of Jupiter, Saturn and Venus in Dave's 10" but as the scope was still cooling I did not get the best views of the planets. I was still lingering on Jupiter when I noticed how dark the sky was already. I then decided to start my mad dash to bag all the galaxies I had on my list (much smaller this time as I wanted quality over quantity this time).



Started out with Leo as this will be the first constellation to set (well for the objects on my list anyway). Set out to bag two rather bright galaxies NGC 2903 and 3607 in Leo. Turns out that I did not need to work very hard. NGC 3607 was a rather bright elliptical close to the M65/66 trio while 2903, at the extreme end of the lion's tail was another easy spiral. Its amazing how easy galaxies are when you are viewing from a dark sky site. Not a problem at all (and I even caught the M65/66 cluster in my 10x50mm binocs). Got M95 this time round (could not dodge me forever). Not much detail there.



Next on my list were…well more galaxies! Charged right on to Canes Venatici and bagged all the galaxies I missed the last time round (the sky transparency was super excellent tonight!). I had not even expected to bag some of the galaxies mentioned later on as they are located fairly low in the sky. Bagged NGC's 4631, 4449, 4490 and M106 (woohoo!). Of the four, the most outstanding was 4631 with the irregular mottling seen all across the face of the galaxy. In fact the mottling was so prominent that I did not even need averted vision.  What a treat as I did not expect such detail from these galaxies. Had a brief glimpse of M51 as well and it too looked much better tonight (even in my 6"…last time all I saw were two fuzzy blobs devoid of any detail). Though I saw a hint of the spiral arms and that bridge connecting the two!

Virgo was up next. I had failed to see some of the galaxies there the last time I was here. Did not intend to fail this time! As such I managed to get them all (well those on my list anyway): 4535 (near M49 which was visible in my 10x50mm) and M89 and M90. While I was at it, I swung my scope around to…naturally Coma Berenices and caught M98 and M99. I have tried these two from home but failed so it was pretty refreshing to see them so easily in my 6" under Leyburn skies. M98 was particularly interesting appearing as a nice sliver of light. Also managed to squeeze in M91 and M88 while I was at it. Not much detail seen in those two. It was at this time when one of the member's (Peter) came on over with his newly purchased Howie Glatter laser pointer and started to show off his new toy. He pointed out this galaxy at the head of Centaurus (one that I had not seen)…NGC 5102 I think. Pretty bright but small galaxy that one.

Did also try to bag two rather bright galaxies in Ursa Major (the only ones in which I deemed were high enough to find….a major portion of Ursa Major, save its legs are all but invisible from my altitude). The two on my list was NGC 3184 and 2841. Did not manage to see any of the two. Well I have to give them a miss…probably too low in the murk!



With all those in the bag it was now time for some fun and for more of my faves. I will not elaborate further here as it would only seem all too repetitive, but I will note some rather exceptional observations. Of the objects I revisited (ditched my 6" in favour of Dave's 10" DOB…well not for all objects but for most of them anyway): globs with very good resolution ; Omega Centauri, M13, M5, M4, M22 and a very low 47 Tucana; nebulae M42, Eta Carina, M8 the Lagoon and the Trifid and planetaries M57 (nice ghostly ring in the 6". Nice nebulosity within the "smoke hole" in the 10"), M27 (looks more like a football with the UHC in place..even in the 6") and NGC 5189, the spiral/leafy sea dragon nebula in Musca (nice even in my 6" with heaps of detail seen. It appeared more like spiral galaxy with the spiral's easily visible….I later noted that I could catch most of the details even from my mag 5-5.5 skies back in the suburbs through the UHC…ahhhh don't you just love technology!) . The things to note was the rusty reds seen in the outstretched arms of the Orion Nebula (never noticed that before) and some reds in the Trifid in the 10" (Notice how I don't have any reports on how objects looked liked through Kev's 16" this time round. I purposefully stayed away so as not to spoil the view in my 6"). Oh and did I mention that we could spy NGC 5128 (Centaurus A galaxy) with the naked eye…yup the skies were that good!!!!!

Well my next dark sky report may possible be several months from now as its time for hibernation (well I will still be out under the stars…but from the comfort of my apartment's balcony :)

No comments:

Post a Comment