Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Excitement with a capital X...coming soon to a galaxy near you...or mine ;)

Okay okay so I absolutely have to share this with everyone. I am just tingling with excitement while waiting for a complete Celestron Cometron 60 to arrive. You heard it right....this is the real deal, a blast from the past. Saw the ad on Astromart and I absolutely had to get it. It is one of them grey tube (pity its not classic Celestron orange like my CO40), made in Japan scopes with adjustable hardwood tripods. Comes with two original Celestron 0.965" eyepieces and a barlow. And since it is second hand and my birthday is coming up in November, plus I have been a good boy, I decided to get it. Now I have a Celestron Cometron 40 (CO40) which I got as a gift from my dad's friend way back in the early 80's. It is with this first "real" telescope (coated achromatic lenses and not plastic single lenses) that I saw some fantastic celestial sights that sparked my passion for backyard stargazing, and this feeling has remained with me till this very day. Its hard to put into words the sense of awe and wonder, not to mention the oneness I had connecting with the heavens above. Its a real wonder why I ended up doing neurobiology instead of Astronomy...but oh well that's all water under the bridge. So yes the scope should be here...hopefully by the end of the week. I can't wait to take it out for a test drive under the stars. Now its not going to give as bright or as detailed a view as my 6" or 10" scope but I bet I will be looking through it with the same sense of wonder and awe as I did when I was a teenager back in the 80's under those darker Malaysian skies....report and piccys to come!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment