Monday, January 13, 2014

A new year a new you......thanks 2013 you have been a good year.....

"M17 The Swan Nebula in Sagittarius"

A little bit late in putting this blog out, but as they say better late than never. Since I made a list of astro resolutions last year, and that pretty much kept me on schedule, I figure I should do one every year so I don't lose sight of the bigger picture. 2013 was good to me in terms of astro. I made great strides in many aspects of my hobby, not just acquiring new/old gear, but also transitioning from a purely visual astronomer to an beginner astro-imager. In fact I got so immersed with this new aspect of the hobby, I acquired a second CCD camera (Orion StarShoot Deep Space Imager II, which has approximately double the size of the Meade DSI I's chip) just over the new year to see if I can push further the boundaries of what can be imaged with my limited astro imaging gear (and to get better images of my faves, pictured here). I might at some stage decide to splurge on a better and more precise EQ mount (i.e. iOptron SmartEQ Portable GOTO mount) for my wide field imaging scopes, but as of now, I will stick with my NexStar 102GT alt az GOTO mount (this is still a big question mark as I am first and foremost a visual astronomer so I might just decide to go with a Meade 16" Lightbridge instead......but then again that is dependant on the CFO of the family ;).

"M42 The Great Nebula in Orion"

So to review what I achieved in 2013:

"M13 The Great Hercules Globular Cluster"
  • My 1st resolution of 2013 was to use my big scope more. Tried as much as I did, due to our current living arrangement and a shared garage that is not lockable, this scope was just too big and bulky to use on a regular basis (too much carrying of heavy components up and down two flights of stairs). I ended up getting rid of my 10" dob and replacing it with a used Celestron C8 OTA (very comparable in terms of DSO brightness and resolution. I actually compared them on similar objects from my light polluted playground and the difference was very subtle if at all detectable). I now use my biggest scope on a more regular basis as I can carry everything in one sitting (C8 on Vixen PortaMount), so resolution one was met.
  • My second resolution was to plan my observing runs better. I did have a plan of attack for each session. It helped greatly to use my iPod Touch notepad function for this, especially for my imaging sessions.
  • I did not adhere to my sketch at least 5 new objects at every session. I did start off the year sketching a fair bit, but ended up getting deep into imaging so that tapered off. I might still do the odd sketch here and there if fancy takes me, but for now I am going to concentrate on imaging full on.
  • I hit my target of doing more equipment reviews and writing them up...and I must confess that I enjoy this tremendously. Not sure if that is feasible this year as I put a cap on buying equipment, with the exception of smallish gear such as accessories.
  • Since I replaced my biggest scope with an 8" SCT, I did succeed in trying out a SCT....and I am pleased to report that I like SCT's. Did not like the focal reducer field flatterner for visual so I might have to imvest in a good wide field 2" eyepiece at some stage.
  • This year was severely lacking in the good scope deals. The best deals I got were floors stocks at Orion (got a 130mm f/5 Orion Star Seeker II OTA for cheap. Costco had a 90GT NexStar for $179 this year in place of their 102GT from last year for $199 last year, and I missed out on this deal as I waited too long).
  • I blogged heaps this year. As I observed more too, there was more to talk about, and hope to continue the trend this year.
  • I am also happy to report that I used ALL my scopes this year, including my most recent addition, a nice red Edmund Astroscan. Still my most used scope is the 102GT as I use it almost exclusively for imaging. I also tried out the Travelscope 70mm for wide field imaging and it worked fine.
  • I used my Meade DSI I color every opportunity I had and have pretty much mastered most, if not all of its functions in the Meade Envisage capture software. I also spent heaps of time learning the intricacies of post image processing with Adobe Photoshop and applied dark subtraction to most of my images. Next stop more faint DSO's and master the Orion StarShoot Deep Space Imager II CCD cam.
  • I failed in my final 2013 resolution. I did observe the moon and planets....but still did not observe as much as I should have.
With that in mind, here is my list of new year astro resolutions for 2014:

"M57 The Ring Nebula in Lyra, my all time fave planetary nebula"
  • Use my bigger scopes for visual from suburbia so I get out even more and not just once or twice a month.
  • Fully use all my existing equipment and refrain from buying new gear this year. I need to fully immerse myself in all the gear I have right now, which is more than enough.
  • For visual, try not to avoid open clusters as I generally find them boring.
  • Focus more on imaging. I know I know I am selling out and not doing visual as much as I should, but the feeling of fulfillment and accomplishment that comes with pulling out those faint wisps of nebulosity, or the spiral arms cannot be described. That means seeking out and trying fainter fare and experimenting with filters, trying to master more imaging tricks and testing out my new Orion StarShoot Deep Space Imager II. Also doing more wide field imaging with the Travelscope 70mm.
  • Try to get better shallow sky images. I really have to invest time in imaging the moon and the planets at high mag.
  • Try a Mak......
So there you have it.....my astro resolutions for 2014

20 comments:

  1. My resolution for 2013 was to get to 600 DSOs observed, logged and sketched. I exceeded this goal and reached the 700 mark. But it took a lot of hard work and $$ to get there.

    My resolutions for 2014:

    1) Observe/detect at least 850 DSO's with scopes up to 4.5" in aperture (I mentioned this before). Most, if not all, will be done with the Powerseeker 114.

    2) Write-up (reviews) on at least a couple of telescopes.

    3) Write-up on at least one telescope shootout - it could be part of goal #2 above, or it could be a stand-alone report.

    4) Slide presentation on observing DSO's the past 3 years - do a presentation for the SMAAC or some other local club.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did spend heaps going to dark sky sites (especially to Yucca). I don't know how you do it ;) You probably made a record number of trips out to Yucca this year! Are you planning to do that again this year? What did each trip cost $300? Also how many open clusters did you do? Seems like heaps.

    For me I have long given up on trying to chase numbers. Its just impossible for me with my current situation (not enough time to plan, etc etc.). I just want to enjoy each dark sky session I get. One of my resolution is to try and convince the wife to let me do 2 dark sky observation sessions per month (that is going to be hard).

    Also, the other reason why I don't chase numbers anymore is probably because my observing habits have changed. Its funny how my other observing buddies in oz (Andrew and David) are also into astro-imaging (well David has been at it for years and have been trying to get me and Andrew interested). I found between visual and CCD imaging, I derived much more pleasure out of imaging as I can work on stacking, dark subtracting and fiddling with PS to bring out the details when the weather does not cooperate.

    Btw you still owe me the SkyScanner vs. Orion 80ST shootout :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, I did a lot of observing (especially at Yucca) compared to the previous 2 years. My report on observing DSOs the past 3 years will hopefully be an interesting read (which I plan to present as well).

    The 2nd edition of Astronomy Magazine's 'Atlas of the Stars' (2010) lists a little over 1,200 deep-sky objects. The editor Michael Bakich says that most of these can be seen with a 6-inch scope. I think 1,200 DSOs would be a good number to try to reach within the next few years, using my 5.1" and 5.9" scopes.

    I'd like to do more testing, comparing and writing about scopes this year, as opposed to just seeking out more DSOs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good...you went nuts last year (no pun intended ;) Well at least you won't have to spend heaps of money going to Yucca as a bonus if you do scope testing. It can also be done from Malibu ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only reason I go to Yucca is because of the marine-layer nights at Malibu, of which there were plenty last year. I'll be satisfied if I can add just 150 new objects this year (to get to 850) - I averaged about 200 objects the past 3 years. This will probably still require some trips to the desert, however. I also need to start going to Frazier Park/Pinos on some weekends as well - it is possible with public transport.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you though about renting a car? Its heaps cheaper and faster than having to take the train/bus. You can even drive there, spend a couple of hours and then drive back. Not sure how this year is going to work out for me in that aspect because wife has plans to move up north probably latest mid this year....I was just thinking if you get an average of 10 objects per dark sky session (once a month), you can easily get 120 objects a year. I know I used to average about 15-20 objects per month for my monthly one time trip to the dark skies in oz...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haven't driven in a long time - no plans on driving anytime soon!

    Wow - does that mean you will be looking for a job up north as well, or will you be staying at UCLA (and what about your daughter if the latter case)? If your wife is able to get a good job she's happy with up north, that's good.

    Also need to be more efficient in my sketching - using an equatorial mount on my Powerseeker 114 OTA, such as the CG3 mount that came with the Astromaster 130EQ, might work. Was just thinking about trying it out over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yup we are both trying to get industry jobs up north. That's where all the big biotech companies are so naturally we have to think about moving somewhere where the jobs are. problem with LA is there is very little in the way of biotech companies, unless you want to stay in academia, which is hard as hell.

    So yes I have make good use of my time here for the next few months up until the time we move (cause I will have to start looking for a good dark sky spot again when i get up there..ie. sucks......)

    Have you though of using your 102GT? That will greatly simplify your hunt, plus the tracking will help in sketching. No more panning up and down ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely - I just did some analyses today on the UC campuses and contracts. UC Davis and UCSF get 3 or 4 times as many health/biotech related contracts as the southern campuses (UCLA, San Diego and Irvine) do.

    I'm sure you'll find good dark sky spots, but you won't get as good a view of the southern skies.

    I guess I could - I never used the 102GT at Malibu or Yucca. But I also have a motor for the CG3 mount which I haven't used yet. Should try that out as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. BTW, are you available this Thursday at 2:00pm? We should meet F2F to catch up on things. Haven't seen you in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Actually I have seen the southern skies from NorCal and its not that different from here in terms of what you can seen. The declination difference is not as big as you think it is.

    I can't do Thur as will be busy Tues, Wed and Thur this week preparing cells for FACS sorting. PI is stressing out over the grant renewals due in March. I can do Fri if you are around.....

    The Nexstar mount would probably be better for your purpose since you do not need the precision for astrophotography...

    ReplyDelete
  12. OK, that's good to know (re: NoCal skies). I will be at home Fri and then be getting on a train for Winslow, AZ later that day. Out of town for the MLK 3-day weekend. I will probably see you at Malibu on the Jan 31st/Feb 1 weekend.

    My NexStar mount has that faulty hand control cord connection, so I'm not sure how smoothly my observing/sketching sessions will go, but I will definitely try it out at Malibu. And I'll need to try out the CG3 mount with motor as well. I just need to start using my other astro equipment (which I have plenty of) this year for my observing, instead of using just one scope with alt-azimuth mount all year-round.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree wholeheartly with trying to use your "other" scopes. I think you can get a replacement handcontroller. Not sure how much they cost since that is the "brains" of the GOTO. Are you taking a holiday there or is this for observing, seeing how the moon will only be slightly past full.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Re: Using other scopes - even just for testing purposes and writing scope reviews, if not used on a regular basis. I got a kick out of testing and writing up the review for the Meade 60mm scope - also using it for a star party at Simi Valley was fun.

    Might be able to fix the hand controller connection problem by "playing around" with the pins on the end of the cord.

    Definitely not observing, just want to get on the train and go somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Its definetly fun to test out new/old scopes. That is one of the many reasons why I enjoy our hobby so much (and buy frequently on Astromart and e Bay). You can go hardcore and seek out DSO's, image and test out equipment, all at your own time. I guess maybe I have been in the hobby longer than you so I really enjoy doing all of them equally and I don't have the strong urge to rush through anything (hell I was actively observing from 84 till about 90's, stopped and restarted from 2001 till present). The universe will always be there waiting, and it will be there when we are gone.

    One of the resolutions I forgot to mention was to make an electronic version of the log of objects I have observed over the years. Just dug out the scrap of paper I was tabulating everything on and I do have 600 objects. Will have to find the time to type it all out and hunt down all the specs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It wasn't until I discovered Solstice Canyon Park, after about 9 months of observing, that I made a conscious decision to log and sketch all new DSO observations and record everything in an electronic database. With the observational info in a spreadsheet, you can do all kinds of number crunching and get interesting info about your observing history with the data. So this year, the bulk of my astronomy time will still be devoted to seeking out as many new DSOs as I can and adding to my database of observations. Just probably not as intensely as in the previous 3 years, especially last year. As mentioned before, 1,200 objects using scopes of 5.9" (150mm) or smaller will be my target for the next few years, while 850 objects will be my target this year, using scopes of 4.5" (114mm) or smaller.

    Do you have the actual dates when you first observed your DSOs as well? I'm thinking many of your earlier observations you don't have dates for since they were on sketchbooks which no longer exist.

    I made my first astronomy-related purchases this year by buying 3 more pairs of radio knobs to replace the slow-motion cables that are on many of my scopes. So all 6 of my mounts with slow motion controls will have knobs instead of cables.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have dates for objects from back in 2001. The earlier ones are hard as my mum got rid of my old sketchbooks while I was away in oz doing my BSc.

    I just posted an ad for an old EQ1 mount on Astromart and a guy came back to me for $60 with postage. I figure instead of getting the Astromaster AZ which you got, a smaller EQ might be good for my small scopes as it has slo mo controls, plus EQ....

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes - you'll get smoother motions with the EQ1 along with the ability to point the scope directly toward the zenith, something which the Astromaster AZ can't do, as I found out a few days ago.

    My two EQ1 mounts are being used on the Starblast 4.5EQ and Short Tube 80A. I have my Vixen Mini-Porta with slow motion controls, which I use as a multi-scope mount. I also have a CG2 mount on my Astromaster 76EQ and two CG3 mounts on my Astromaster 90EQ & 130EQ scopes. That's a total of 6 scopes with slo mo controls.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cancelled my weekend trip. It'll be below freezing over in Winslow AZ - want to stay healthy next week. I would rather stay home and do some astronomy work this weekend. This includes two short 3-hour observing sessions at Malibu this weekend, before the moon gets too high above the horizon.

    I plan to be at UCLA tomorrow - will you be available to meet in the afternoon?

    ReplyDelete