Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Orion OmniVista 60ST Halley's Comet vintage scope review

So here I am with yet another 60mm vintage scope. I have gone through, lets see......Kasai 60ST orange tube 60mm (f/6), Yosco 60mm (f/11.7) metal tube dud, Celestron Cometron CO60 (f/11.7) plastic tube (probably made by Kasai of Japan as well as it is very similar to my Cometron CO40 (f/20) and the Kasai 60ST), Meade blue tube 60mm and now the Orion OmniVista 60ST. If you have been following my blog you would know by now that I have a soft spot for small scopes, especially 80's vintage ones. I can't really tell you why I have an affinity for these scopes. It might be due to the fact that I grew up with astronomy in the 80's and spent heaps of time looking at all those cool ads in the mags and not being able to afford even a measly 60mm scope. Talk about reliving your childhood and teen years!

"The Orion Halley's Comet Special: OmniVista 60 on vintage alt-az mount"

Now I trawl Astromart, the local Craigslist and even e Bay, and do occasionally come across gems for cheap. Most scope sellers are pretty savvy these days and vintage scope (especially complete outfits such as the 60's and 70's produced Unitron's, Sear's, JC Penney's (most of these either Towa's (Circle T), Vixen's (Circle V) and Park's can cost anywhere from $100 to $400 bucks a pop. Yup these "heirloom" quality 60mm long focal length (most come in at between 700 and 910mm focal lengths) are more expensive when they come complete in their wooden box holders, equatorial mounts (some even with clock drives) and a full complement of accessories (mostly 0.965" eyepieces, 2x barlow lenses and moon and sun (sic...these should never be used and should be smashed and thrown away ASAP). One dead giveaway to their 60's and 70's heritage is their metal focus knobs, something rarely seen these days in small 60, 70 and 80mm scopes.

Anyway to cut the story short, while browsing e Bay one lazy Saturday morning, I stumbled across a very familliar looking scope. Now where have I seen this cute lil short tube...oh yes in an ad in my 1985 Orion Telescopes catalog! This scope was released during the Halley's Comet fever era, and was sold on a flimsy looking tabletop tripod, but came with a spring loaded 6x30mm finder, 1.25" rack and pinion focuser and screw on prism diagonal. The scope also came with two 1.25" eyepieces, a 28mm and 15mm. Price back in the day was $229. The one I found did not come complete, the OTA that is. This set is partially complete as the previous owner mounted it on a vintage yoke mount that has slow motion controls in both altitude and azimuth (nice mount by the way). I will have to do a little research on when slow motion controls in azimuth was removed from these small scope mounts. My guess is sometime in the late 80's. The current crop of chinese and taiwanese made small yoke mounts do not have this option. All they have is slow motion controls in the altitude department.

"As the late Steve Irwin would say "Isn't she a beauty"

When released in the mid 80's, the scope did not have a name. I did a little more snooping around on the internet and found out that Orion had indeed given this sweet lil scope a name....Orion OmniVista. I can't find any ad's for this so I am not sure if it was sold as just an OTA or with the tabletop mount as back in 1985. Anyone out there with vintage Orion Catalog's e mail me if you have a copy of this ad!

The OTA itself is very solidly built, and I dare say more solidly built than most of its longer tube brethren. This 20" OTA weights in at a hefty 3.2lb, and this is the OTA alone. The metal retainer ring for the main objective, which only looks to be fully coated (blue reflections only) has the aperture and focal length inscribed onto it (aperture 60mm and focal length 420mm-f/7). The scope, in its native form, comes with a spring loaded, dovetail (non standard and does not accept the current dovetails from the chinese finderscopes....the dovetail is smaller and slips in from the front, with a lock knob down the front too) 6x30mm finder (which is absent in my sample, which comes with a holder that looks like it came from one of them Meade ETX's, but no finder). The focuser knobs are huge for a 60mm scope and are a very sturdy plastic. The rack and pinion focuser is very precise with no play when you rack it in and out of the focuser. It also comes with a focus lock, which will come in handy when you use it for wide field imaging.

"Looking down the barrel of the scope...the business end"

Looking down the business end, I do not see anything that would suggest that the main objective is stoppered down. There is nothing immediately behind the objective. Also looking through the focuser end of the OTA, I can see the objective in its entirety when racking the focuser in and out all the way, suggesting that there is no light cut off from the tube being too short, or the focuser being too long. One quirk of the OTA though is its diagonal. This OTA does not accept the standard 1.25" diagonals (even though it has a focuser in the 1.25" format). What is does have is a thread (not 1.25", appears a little smaller) for the prism star diagonal to screw on that comes with the OTA. I was bummed by this, but upon testing, the prism diagonal seems to work very well with the OTA.

"Aperture=60mm; Focal length=420mm, fully coated optics only"

In the Field




Preliminary inspections out of the way, now it was time to test the scope to see if it performs as well as a 60mm scope should. One problem I often encounter with refractors is miss collimation resulting in imperfect airy discs. A good refractor should have very tight airy disc and the expanding disc should look identical on both sides of the focus. Testing the scope on the stars, the OTA exhibited perfect airy discs and pinpoint stars at the focus point!

"I could get used to this...slo mo on azimuth....something only found on older mounts"

Since I did not have a working finder on the OTA as of yet, I eyeballed bright test objects. In two suburban testing sessions, I observed the 90% illuminated moon (about 1 days out from full moon) and a 4 days past opposition Mars in the evening sky; as well as Saturn and Venus in the predawn sky. I had trouble bagging deep sky objects from my light drenched skies, and the lack of a finder made things even more difficult. Will have to update this blog when I do get the scope under darker skies!

"Slo-mo altitude adjustment, the standard found on todays chinese alt-az mounts"

I used my 24.5mm Meade SWA eyepiece, working at 17x magnification as the finder eyepiece, my 20mm Orion Expanse, working at 21x and my TeleVue 6mm Radian, working at 70x, as my high powered planetary eyepiece. This lil beauty is definately a keeper. Planets were nice and sharp, as was the moon. I had superb, if warm yellow'ish views (typical of fast achromats) of Saturn and its rings, and though I could make out Cassini's division when the seeing steadied. Venus looked very good at 70x too (Seemed to be the best magnification for sharp color free views). I also pushed the magnification above the 60mm maximum limit of 50x per inch with my Orion Shorty Plus barlow to 140x, but CA became a problem and the views dimmed too much. I also used the scope for the total lunar eclipse (14th of April 2014) and even caught some quick looks at a rather featureless Mars at the same magnifications as above. The planetary disc was very sharp though.

"The focuser end showing the screw on metal thread for the prism diagonal"

The mount is of an older vintage as well. This is not a standard issue with this scope, but was a joy to use. There is still that annoying offshoot that one needs to figure in with the altitude adjustment, but I really liked the slow motion control in azimuth. First time using this function on such a small alt-az mount! The flimsy wooden legs are best fully collapsed or extended to about midway since it shakes too much when fully extended. It also comes with one of those triangular plate trays that attach to the mount with wing nuts. I find it easiest to leave one attached to the mount so I can collapse and carry the mount.

All in all I think I got a great bargain for $50 bucks. This scope seems to be a keeper, but only time will tell if I decide otherwise.....

22 comments:

  1. Yup, you got a good deal on a vintage scope - probably worth $50 just for the mount alone. The plastic focuser knobs looks like the ones found on the Orion ST80. You'll have to bring it to Malibu after you return from your trip and we'll compare the views with my 60mm scopes (the F/5.8 and maybe also the F/11.7 Meade scopes - not sure about the Sears 60mm because it's a straight-through viewing scope).


    ReplyDelete
  2. I will. Actually depending on how the green card interview for my wife goes I might be able to sneak another Malibu session this weekend...with her permission of course. Really want to try out this cute lil wide field under darker skies.

    Btw got out on Saturday night with the C8 and Vixen Porta to view the Moon, Saturn, Mars, M13 and M57. Got great views. Mars still not a whole heap of detail...could barely make out some dust markings and the polar cap was there and seemed to be shrinking. I had a look at some recent images of Mars and that is basically what I saw.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Accuweather says Malibu will be clear on Saturday, but I'm not so sure, pretty sure the forecast will change to at least partially cloudy within the next few days. I hope I'm wrong.

    Was it clear all night here in SoCal? I was in Yucca for some Saturday night observing - picked up 8 new galaxies plus globular NGC 5053 (located near M53) in Coma Berenices. I was just intermittently able to detect a faint glow where I thought 5053 was supposed to be - comparing my sketch to images of the globular online proved that I did indeed glimpse it (so it counts as a valid observation!).

    Yup, Mars was pretty featureless the last time I looked (last Monday) with my Powerseeker 114.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you went to Yucca during the slightly past full moon? Goodness...you planning to go again this weekend? It was clear as a whistle here in LA.

    Well weather dependant...if it is not clear clear I will just stay in LA and use my BIG scope to combat light pollution...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was more like a waning gibbous moon, so I observed until 3:00am. But if I'd known it'd be clear all night here, I wouldn't have gone (I thought the report said clear but cloudy later in the evening for Malibu). I got some good deep-sky observing done over there. Young people were on the bus going to and leaving from Coachella (music festival) via Palm Springs. This weekend will be partially cloudy all over SoCal, but hoping the forecast changes for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah weather is not looking crash hot at the moment. Btw just saw you cross the road at Wilshire at about 10.30am. Was riving in as we just went down to the USCIS. Wifey's GC got approved...time to celebrate!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heh, heh - went to CHS for a meeting with a group of Health Services students on applying "return on investment" to health-related studies.

    Congrats! Hopefully, she'll let you go observing to darker skies this new moon weekend if the weather situation improves,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like Sat is a go if the weather holds....I will not be flying in two weeks so I have two more weekends here to observe. Leaving next week is too much of a rush and we need to get some stuff organized.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simi Valley projected to be "mainly" clear on Saturday, I might spend Saturday night there. Yucca will be like Malibu - "patchy clouds" - Saturday night.

    Yes, you don't want to rush it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Somebody did a comparison of the SkyScanner/Skywatcher Heritage 100P vs. the Orion ST80 - might want to check out this thread:

    http://www.astronomyforum.net/reflector-telescope-forum/176416-skywatcher-heritage-100p.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. If it is bad I will just stay in LA....will check out the thread....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Weather looks really shitty. If it bad this weekend I will wait for the next......

    ReplyDelete
  13. Still reports of mostly clear and clear sky chart is looking better than last night. At least it looks to be clear all night long....I don't mind drifting clouds so I might just head out to Malibu tonight with my 102GT and 60mm Orion Omnivista.......

    ReplyDelete
  14. Did you make it to Malibu this weekend? I didn't do any observing this weekend, either from home or away from home. But I did do an extensive review of galaxies in Virgo, Coma Berenices, Leo, and Leo Minor. Didn't realize that there were so many I haven't observed that are within the reach of my 4.5" scope. Just got Thursday off, so I will go to Malibu Wednesday night, probably Thursday as well. We'll see...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I did make it out to Malibu Sat night. Got there about 9.30pm and stayed till about 2am. Did about 2 hours of imaging (until the laptop battery died...this time I did some dark frames for subtraction since I do not have any from the DSI II OSC camera) and 2 hours of visual. Skies were nice and clear (some clouds towards the south when I got there but they never moved and later dispersed). Did get some wispy clouds (high level midway through the session but that later dispersed too). I had with me my Orion OmniVista 60 and was again reminded why I never keep 60mm scopes for long. Even with the wide field the views were so dim...I rather be using a 76mm or 100mm short tube wide field reflector! Will see if I decide to keep the scope!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow - I would have gone if I'd had known, but I stayed in bed most of Saturday to get some badly needed sleep! Oh well, I was still productive astronomy-wise, in terms of planning for my next sessions by reviewing my star charts carefully for doable DSO's.

    My experience with smaller scopes is somewhat different from yours - I got a thrill out of seeing the Beehive cluster and the Pleiades with my 60mm F/5.8 in light-polluted skies. And I was delighted to be able to pick up nearly all the Messier objects in Sagittarius with my small 60mm F/11.7 in semi-dark skies. I guess you're used to seeing these showpiece objects with larger scopes (and you revisit seeing them so many times), whereas I only use small scopes and I rarely go back to a DSO once I've observed/logged/sketched it and move on to other new targets. So I forget what they look like when I revisit them with my 60mm scopes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Probably the case. Yes I am a connoisseur of fine DSO and love looking for details in DSO...not just to see them but to ferret detail out of them with different scopes...much like O'Meara.....

    ReplyDelete
  18. The few times I've revisited the Messier objects with my 4.5" I've been wowed by the views. Especially globulars such as M15 (can start to resolve with averted vision) and M55. I can only imagine what fine detail I'll see on the Messier objects once I start using the Starblast 6. Even the views through the Bushnell Ares on M13 and M22 blew me away - almost resolvable down to the core.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yup that is why I spend time with my larger scopes. The more light gathering the more detail you see (up to a point when the scope becomes so large it becomes literally a pain to use). For now the C8 is more than enough light gathering power for me. Someday when I get my own house I will get a dob again, but for now that will suffice. I guess the name of the game is practicality.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anyways, Malibu tomorrow night. My Powerseeker 114EQ is in my Westwood office. Looking forward to racking up the DSO's (mostly galaxies).

    ReplyDelete
  21. I will be staying in LA this weekend since I had my Malibu run last Sat. Will image some planetaries.....might do close ups with the barlow...never been done before...plus I am working at refining my image processing for better images. heaps of stuff I can do

    ReplyDelete
  22. Three full nights of glorious observing at Malibu, starting tonight. Maybe Saturday night as well, we'll see...

    ReplyDelete