Saturday, April 12, 2014

"Unleashing the the Imaging Monster" with a Meade DSI II OSC

Prologue

"NGC3242: Ghost of Jupiter Planetary in Hydra (top) and M97: The Owl Planetary in Ursa Major""

The long slumber is over. I tried to surpress it, but I can no longer hold it back. It started off as quick shots of the moon and the milky way with a standard bridge digital camera. This escalated into a dedicated deep sky imaging CCD camera. About a year ago I started on this quest, to take images of the our wonderful night sky. My first stop, naturally, was those modified webcams that could be used to take pics of the brighter members of our solar system with a non motorized mount. I figured I would ease my way into the realm of astrophotography. To that, I purchased a Orion Star Shoot Moon and Planetary Imager II. Did not know what I was getting into. Getting the camera to work with my existing scopes itself was a challenge. I quickly learned that one cannot simply attach a camera to the eyepiece of a non motorized telescope and get good images (or images for that matter as the scope needed sufficient back focus!!).


"M62: Black Eye Galaxy in Coma Berenices"

As fate would have it, I chanced upon a cheap Meade Deep Sky Imager I One Shot Color (DSI I OSC) camera on Astromart. That camera coaxed the imaging beast from within, one that was always there, simmering and waiting for a chance to be unleashed. Once a visual observer, I am now more of an astroimager (even though I still stay true to my visual roots and take an hour or two out of every dark sky session to drink in the faint starlight). As a result my observing habits changed. My most used scope went from my big 10" f/5 dob and Celestron/Vixen C6 to a 102mm GOTO Celestron NexStar. This small nifty scope enabled me to spend more time enjoying the views, while imaging or sketching. I also could hit more objects in a night than I previously could. Together with this scope, and camera, I spent countless of nights under Pinos and Malibu skies, imaging as I went along. I spent more than a year with my first DSI I OSC. It was a constant companion of mine, and it went with me everytime I went observing. I was amazed at what it could do, even with my limited equipment and knowledge. My problem was always its limited FOV and small images. The camera worked great. It was just inadequate for larger, sprawling objects. I did do some wide field imaging with a 70mm Celestron Travescope OTA mounted on my NexStar mount.


 

"M101 (top), M81 (middle), M82 (bottom) galaxies in Ursa Major"

Enter the Meade DSI II OSC 

"M105 group (top), M95 (middle) and NGC2903 (bottom) in Leo"

After some soul searching a decision was made to actively seek out a CCD with a bigger imaging chip that was within budget. Enter the Orion Star Shoot Deep Space Imager II, which had a bigger chip and TEC cooling. Found one for cheap on Astromart so I bit the bullet and purchased it. The camera got as far as my light polluted playground and a single trip to Malibu. The camera was heavier and bigger and used a different image capture software, the industry standard MaxIm DL.  But the camera and software proved to be not as user friendly as the Meade DSI I OSC and the Envisage software. I then put it back up on Astromart and the camera was sold in a flash. Back to the drawing board and my lil Meade DSI I OSC. Then fate came a knocking once again, I found my first camera's older brother, an upgrade, the Meade DSI II OSC with a larger CCD chip and a temperature sensor for dark frames. On testing, the camera performed as well as its little brother. It had the additional advantage (compared to the Orion SSDSIII) of being similar in size, weight and simplicity to the Meade DSI I OSC. I had found my ideal camera (for now)!!!!!!!

"Meade DSI's I (left) and II (right) OSC side by side"

Meade DSI II OSC specs:
Model / Part Number:
Deep Sky Imager II / 04526  

CCD Sensor:
High Sensitivity Color Sony EXview HAD CCDT Sensor (ICX429AKL)  

Chip Dimensions Pixels:
5.59mm (w) x 4.68mm (h); 8mm diagonal (type 1/2) 752 x 582 pixels (437,664 pixels)  

Pixel Size (in microns):
8.3 microns (w) x 8.6 microns (h)  

Temperature Sensor:
Built in temperature sensor measures degrees in celsius and matches it to each dark frame  

A/D Conversion :
16-bit (greater image depth and contrast)  

Min. - Max. Exposure Time:
1/10,000 of a second to one hour  

Housing:
Anodized die-cast aluminum  

USB Compatibility:
High Speed 2.0 and 1.1  

Size / Weight of product:
3.25" x 3.25" x 1.25"/ 10 oz. 


"M94 (Top): The Croc's Eye, M106 (middle) and M63: The Sunflower (bottom) Galaxies in Canes Venatici"

Three weekends on and I finally plucked up the courage to sell my old faithful. I rather it go to someone who would use it heaps, like I did when starting out with astrophotography. This is an awesome lil camera to start with as it greatly reduces the learning curve and can still generate some really pretty snapshots of the deep sky! My only regret with it was not playing around with different image formats. I did not push my lil camera to its limits!!!!!

"M83 galaxy in Hydra"

So after some initial testing from light polluted skies, and experimenting with different file formats (FITS vs TIFF vs BMP) with the Meade DSI II OSC, the imaging bug struck me even harder, much like Mjolnir! I spent the last two weekends imaging from my preferred site, Solstice Canyon park in Malibu.  Seeing how my usual blog goes, I will do a writeup after my dark sky session. I figured I do things a little different this time and write about my experience imaging with the Meade DSI II instead. In total I spent 7 hours imaging and visual observing.


"M84/86 and a portion of the Markarian's Chain in Virgo"

And we are off for some imaging at Malibu 27th March and 5th of April 2014 

"M53 Globular (top) and NGC4565 Galaxy in Coma Berenices"

I spent the eve of Cesar Chavez's day (27th of March) and last Saturday (5th of April) imaging from Solstice Canyon at Malibu. Conditions were rather nice. It was not windy at all, as it was all through Dec, Jan and Feb, and it did not get very cold until midnight hit. Also everything ran oh so smoothly. The mount was humming along just fine and dandy, hitting every object pretty much center or slightly to the left of the FOV on both nights. On most objects, I did not even need to put in the eyepiece to frame the object and then refocus. All I had to do is slew, hit the left or right buttons three to four times and whala...object acquired! The DSI II was also performing very well, as was the laptop. No stalling, no hanging and no frequent updates (the night prior to these two trips were just a weird night when nothing went right). The only small hiccup I encountered was losing some good frames on the 27th of March. I am not quite sure what happened, but that was one of the reasons why I went back this 1st quarter weekend to bag more objects. And I was there late as well since we had a dinner party to attend in Irvine.

M51: The Whirlpool Galaxy in Canes Venatici"

As far as the sessions went, I bagged all the objects I had on my list. Starting at Leo, I polished off NGC 2903 (although I wished I had the better frames, this was one of the objects that did not get saved properly). Then went on to do some old faves such as M81/M82/M97 in Ursa Major, M83 in Hydra, M3/M64 in Coma Berenices and M44/M67 in Cancer. All in all, I managed to go much deeper than with the DSI I. I think this is partly to do with the file formats since I was experimenting with FITS at 32 bit and TIFF at 16 bit. It was here that I learnt that somehow the color balance gets skewered when I save stuff in the FITS format (and combine all four channels, luminence, red, green and blue in MaxIm DL....this is very evident with my M82, M97, M64 and M83 shots pictured in this blog update). Weird? You tell me. Another revelation was that the DSI II had less amp glow than the original DSI I, so I could coax more detail out of the darkness of the frame.

"M12 (top) and M10 (bottom) globulars in Ophiuchus"

When the laptop battery finally died (usually last about 2 hours or more) I went to visual with the Astroscan and the 102GT. The Astroscan is just so easy to use, even easier than the SkyScanner. My fave eyepiece in this one is the 13T6 Nagler. Spent a good amount of observing time looking at all the galaxies (the Leo galaxies M65/M66; M95/M96/M105, Virgo's Markarian chain of galaxies, Coma's galaxies M64, The Blackeye Galaxy; NGC4565, Canes Venatici galaxies M51, The Whirlpool Galaxy; M106; M63, the Sunflower galaxy and M94 as well as big papa bears galaxies M81/M82.

"M8: The Lagoon Nebula in Sagittarius"

Last Saturday was a rushed job as I only got there at 1.30am and imaged all the way till 4.30am, with some visual breaks in between to look at the glorious summer milky way. Can never get enough of M8, the Lagoon Nebula; M20, The Trifid Nebula;, M17, the Swan Nebula;, M16, The Eagle Nebula. Overall a very happy camper. The aim of my next trip therefore will be to re-image summers best and brightest......M20, M17, M16, M57 and M27.......as well as some of the Virgo group of galaxies.....

"M4 Globular (top) and NGC6302: The Bug Nebula (bottom) in Scorpius"

12 comments:

  1. Great shots of the galaxies and their structures, especially M83 and M51. Hard to believe that these can be imaged with only a 4-inch refractor in semi-dark Malibu skies. Need to go back and re-look at these with the 4.5 Newt, even though the structure can't be seen visually.

    That April 5th session was the first time in a long time that I was able to bag so many galaxies one-by-one with ease, like a turkey-shoot. Can't wait for the next session to nail some more galaxies in Virgo and Coma Beren. I thought I had already mined this area out of all its brightest fuzzies, but turns out I didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With imaging its not so much the aperture. Its more how steady and precise the mount is ans the expoure. With the new DSI II, with its wider FOV due to the larger chip, I find I can frame most objects better. In fact I no longer have to rely on the TS70 OTA, unless its really big OC like M44 and M45. Plus there seems to be less amp glow on the upper right of the frames like the old cam. Now all I need is some dark frames.

    Also keen to do some visual deep sky with the 60 ST.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait, which of these were done with the TS70 and which ones with the NexStar102GT? Nonetheless, awesome images.

    Same here, want to do some deep-sky with the Meade F/5.8 60AZ-T. Was surprised at what a 60mm F/11.7 could show in semi-dark skies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All those here were done with the 102GT. Have not imaged with the TS70/ DSI II OSC combo yet! The sensor does seem a little more sensitive. Still having issues with the colored pixels. I need to do dark frame subtraction. No question about that.

    Tried the 60 OmniVista on the moon and Mars tonight. Looks good....will have to try it under darker skies. Not a planetary scope for sure. Views were so small....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to hear that the views through this scope turned out well, even with the proprietory prism diagonal.

    I also looked at the moon and Mars tonight with the Meade 60AZ-T. Views looked good, though I could tell by trying to bring Mars to focus that the view was a little off collimation, due to the mirror diagonal I used (off collimation). Should try my dielectric Orion diagonal next time (better collimated), might be able to focus Mars better with it.

    Despite the planetary image being so small (I used the stock 10mm Kellner & 2x Barlow, or 78X), I could make out a dark marking on Mars, which I didn't see when the planet was close to opposition. Mars was almost featureless then, with even the polar ice cap almost invisible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did not sleep well last night. Must have been the coffee I had in the arvo but I was up at 4.30am so I though I go out and test the OmniVista again (as well as take some pics for my upcoming blog on it). Scope performed flawlessly on Saturn and okay on Venus (very testing subject due to its brightness). Very nice sharp views with a hint of the Cassini's division (difficult I think at 60mm). Best views of Saturn and Venus came at 70x with the 6mm TV Radian. I also boosted the magnification way beyond a 60mm scopes limit but inserting a barlow but the views were still sharp if dim at 140x. CA is definately a problem, not so much at 70x but very bad at 140x. Will have to do a side by side with the TS70. I remember the TS70 having less CA, but maybe its my imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Briefly looked at Saturn last night low on the horizon and the views were tiny but the ring shape was very clear, even at about 40X. I should try looking at Mars with the "bigger" scopes (4.5" Newt, C90Mak) tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't forget the lunar eclipse tonight. Have to try making a video ;)

      Delete
  8. Needed more time with Mars...did not get a good look cause my daughter kept on running away so I had to cut short my session.....want to spend more time on it since its just a couple of days past opposition

    ReplyDelete
  9. Got the 4.5" Newt out last night, Mars was like a blank orange disk even at 150X, with no trace of the polar ice cap or surface markings. Just glad I was able to see the eclipse, or at least part of it, through the scope. I also got up at 1:00am to briefly go outside and get a quick look at the red moon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I looked at Mars with the OmniVista 60 too and at 70x and 140x, no surface detail. Wonder if there is a dust storm on Mars. Usually happens during opposition. I only got out late as I was talking to my parents on the phone (nephews 9th b day!)....got out about 11.45pm when it was almost the total and stayed till about 1.40am...so many people out last night.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

    Giaonhan247 chuyên dịch vụ vận chuyển hàng đi mỹ cũng như dịch vụ ship hàng mỹ từ dịch vụ nhận mua hộ hàng mỹ từ trang ebay vn cùng với dịch vụ mua hàng amazon về VN uy tín, giá rẻ.

    ReplyDelete